JULY 2019 BOARD BRIEF
STEEL VALLEY SCHOOL DISTRICT
The School Board acknowledged the passing of Donna Mehle, sister of Diana Merichko, high school cafeteria cook; Rose Marie “Tina” Bartko, former School Board member, cousin of Donna Kiefer, former School Board member, mother of Jim Bartko, former secretary, and grandmother of Cadence John, middle school student; Roseann Putteman, sister-in-law of Kim Weightman, public relations consultant; Dauminique Ross, Steel Valley Graduate, Class of 2017; Mildred M. “Millie” Dorko, mother of Michelle Maddigan, high school science teacher. It was moved by Ms. Youngblood and seconded by Mr. Rojtas to place a selection of appropriate books into the school libraries in their memory.
Board President’s Report
Mr. Bulger announced that the School Board would be approving the student handbooks at the meeting. He thanked the staff for their work in preparing the Parent-Student Handbooks and the Faculty Handbooks. The Board will also be approving the middle school and high school A-TSI Improvement Plans. Thanks to Maya Adams, Colette Youngblood and Edward Wehrer for the time they spent on the A-TSI Steering Committee. The plan in place will partner with the University of Pittsburgh, and the changes described in the school improvement plans will have a positive impact on our students.
Mr. Wehrer announced that students made strawberry lime salsa with grilled chicken, and they sautéed kale, green beans and potatoes last week as part of the Cooking in the Garden program. He thanked the Phipps Conservatory and Interboro College Club for the grants to support the summer and after school programs. Christine Schott and Holli Bobick will be cooking at the Franklin Pavilion on August 12, 13, 14 and 15, and registration forms were made available at the meeting.
The start of school is approaching quickly. Back to School may sound good to parents but maybe not to their children. Meet the Principal Nights are scheduled for August 13 – Middle School, August 14 – High School and August 15 – Barrett and Park Schools.
The Transition Day for Kindergarten, 5th and 9th graders will be held on Wednesday, August 21, and it will be an early dismissal. Parents should watch for a letter in the mail with all the details. The first day of classes for everyone will be Thursday, August 22.
Opportunities to enroll kindergarten students are available on Thursday, August 8, and Tuesday, August 13, between 9 AM and 1 PM both days at Barrett Elementary School. For those needing a later registration time, there will be an additional registration event at Barrett on Thursday, August 15, from 5 to 7 PM. This Kinder Kick Off tailgate event will have activities for the kids, hot dogs and nachos, and the kindergarten teachers will be on hand to meet everyone.
Director of Academics, Information & Technology’s Report
Mr. Colebank reported that he will be changing student passwords, and he will be closing the wireless connection and then the neighbors cannot use our Internet during off times. He added that 97% of the high school student schedules are completed.
The Board adopted a Resolution to Petition the Court of Common Pleas of Allegheny County requesting authorization and approval of the Court to appoint School Police in the Steel Valley School District.
The Board approved the following meeting minutes:
- June 24, 2019 worksession
- June 27, 2019 regular meeting
The Board approved the following financial items:
- General Fund invoices for 2018-2019 paid in 2019-2020 in the amount of $193,218.90
- General Fund invoices for July 2019 in the amount of $22,184.66
- General Fund hand checks for June 2019 in the amount of $1,412,300.43
- General Fund Revenue Report for June 2019
- General Fund Expenditure Report for June 2019
- General Fund Balance Sheet for June 2019
- Food Service invoices for June 2019 in the amount of $424.67
- Food Service Revenue Report for June 2019
- Food Service Expenditure Report for June 2019
- Food Service Balance Sheet for June 2019
- Payroll Funding Transfers for June 2019
- External Groups Balance Sheet and Disbursement Report for June 2019
- High School Student Activities Balance Sheet and Disbursement Report for June 2019
- Middle School Activities Balance Sheet and Disbursement Report for June 2019
- Athletics Fund Balance Sheet and Disbursement Report for June 2019
- Capital Projects Balance Sheet for June 2019
- Capital Projects Revenue for June 2019
- Capital Projects Expenditures for June 2019
- Workers’ Compensation Panel changes as presented
The Board approved the following items:
- Facility rental requests as presented
- Cooperation Agreement with the Borough of Homestead as part of the Transforming Twelfth Project
The Board approved the fundraising requests as presented.
The Board held first readings of the following
- Attachments to Policy 626 Federal Fiscal Compliance
- Policy 626.1 Travel Reimbursement – Federal Programs
The School Board approved the following items:
- Secondary Student Handbook, Middle School Faculty Handbook and the High School Faculty Handbook for the 2019-2020 school year
- Transitional Program Handbook and the Online Program Handbook for the 2019-2020 school year
- Elementary Student Handbook and Elementary Faculty Handbook for the 2019-2020 school year
- Middle School and High School A-TSI School Improvement Plans
- Accepted a grant of $1,404.00 from the Interboro College Club Fund of The Pittsburgh Foundation for the Cooking in the Garden program
- Directed the Superintendent and Administration to explore the benefits of enteri
- Hired Louis Colorito to a full-time permanent teaching position with a 2019-2020 assignment of Social Studies teacher in the Senior High School at a salary of $41,338 Master’s non-tenured status according to Policy No. 328.1 and the 2019-2024 collective bargaining agreement plus benefits as outlined in the SVEA collective bargaining agreement effective at the start of the 2019-2020 school year
- Hired Brittany Holzapfel retroactive to July 15, 2019, as a Speech Language Therapist for the 2019 Extended School Year Program at a rate of $22.00 per hour
- Accepted, with regret, the retirement request from Colleen Andreyo, Confidential Secretary, to retire effective January 7, 2020. Mrs. Andreyo will retire with all the benefits allotted within the Steel Valley Secretarial/Aide Educational Support Personnel Unit Agreement. Mrs. Andreyo has served 28 years with the school district first as the substitute caller, then Park School Secretary and currently as a Confidential Secretary. Her historical knowledge of the district, work experience, common sense approach to work and her ever-present positive outlook will be missed.
- Fall Athletic supplemental positions for the 2019-2020 school year as presented, contingent upon receipt of current clearances
- Supplemental positions for the 2019-2020 school year as presented, contingent upon receipt of current clearances
- Athletic volunteers as presented for the 2019-2020 school year, contingent upon receipt of current clearances
- Salary increases of 4.16% for the confidential secretaries in the amount of $2,485.93 for Kimberly Watkins and $2,036.86 for Colleen Andreyo
Mr. Bulger thanked Colleen Andreyo for her 28 years of service, work ethic and smiling face.