Barrett PBIS program earns recognition from Pennsylvania Positive Behavior Support Network

An illustration of Barrett's PBIS award recognition

Barrett Elementary is excited to announce that its PBIS program has been recognized by the Pennsylvania Positive Behavior Support Network for implementing Tier 1, Tier 2 and Tier 3 levels of support with fidelity during the 2022-23 school year.

Barrett will be recognized at the 2023 Integrated PaPBS Network and MTSS Implementers’ Forum held on November 1 through November 3, 2023 at the Hershey Lodge and Convention Center in Hershey, PA.

The PBIS program is in its 14th year of implementation at Barrett. Over 15 staff members are involved with the Tier I Core Team and the Advanced Tiers 2 and 3 team to plan and implement interventions and reward systems to promote a positive school culture.

The most popular system in place is the use of bear paws to acknowledge students who are following school expectations. Bear paws are in turn exchanged for treats at lunch, the school store, and various other classroom incentives. Through the PBIS framework, staff have developed a building planning calendar, Principal's 100 Club, Principal's Paw Cards, the Twelve Days of Giving project, the Tournament of Books celebration, and various other school-wide activities.

The premise of PBIS is that we teach the expectation, reinforce the expectations, and then acknowledge when students follow the expectation. It helps to develop a positive school climate with a goal of reaching 80% of the students with the school wide reward systems in place. The remaining 20% of the students require additional interventions and supports provided by the Advanced Tiers Team. Each Barrett staff member on the team plays an important role to help the school achieve implementation with fidelity at all three tiers.

Congratulations Barrett staff and thank you for all that you do!